Lugazi FC have secured promotion to the StarTimes Uganda Premier League for the first time in the club’s history by beating forlorn Kaaro Karungi FC at the Lugazi FC stadium on Sunday.

The Leaders beat Kaaro Karungi 2-0 to celebrate the biggest feat for the club with a game to spare, with the league title still attainable on the final day of the season.

Gerald Efiti’s side already had a five-point advantage over fourth placed Kataka FC going into the penultimate game of the season, and only needed a draw to secure promotion, however, they left nothing to chance.

Thousands of Lugazi fans gathered outside the ground before kick-off with some even having a celebratory drive through town as the atmosphere built towards kick-off.

The expectant home crowd watched their team pin their visitors in their own half in the opening 20 minutes and should have taken an early lead, but Ronald Ssempala failed to hit the target from close range.

But the dominant start saw the hosts go 1-0 up after 10 minutes through Ronald Ssemugugu from a well-worked move where Moses Buga’s cross found the striker unmarked at the back post to slot home to a huge raw from the crowd.

Ssempala struck the second after half an hour, skipping away from the goalkeeper to prod home from a tight angle after it looked like the chance had gone away from him.

Lugazi had another opportunity to extend their lead close to halftime, but captain Faizo Matovu failed to guide his header on target.

Andrew Odong, making his return to competitive action after a lengthy injury lay off almost had an instant impact shortly after his introduction for Ssempala but was denied by the goalkeeper.

There was massive celebration after the final whistle with fans flocking the pitch to celebrate a remarkable milestone in the club’s history, .

Lugazi boss Gerald Efiti has overseen a remarkable turnaround in the club’s fortunes – and promotion this season saw them become the first team from Lugazi since SCOUL FC in 2002 to play in the top flight.